Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Better beats #2: RJD2 - Chicken Bone Circuit

Chicken Bone Circuit by RJD2 (off the album Deadringer)
Yes, I know it's late Tuesday night (or Wednesday, really) and I've fallen behind on my weekly Friday music posting after only one week. I do feel a bit disappointed, but I must say that I find this far easier to swallow than what happened in Massachusetts this evening. Plus, I have some good reasons to have waited to post the latest better beats.

The artist this week is RJD2, a DJ and producer who got started with his music career in Columbus, OH (boo!) as part of a hip hop group called MHz. I suspect that many of you have not heard of him before, but I bet you've heard his music. Where? Well, if you tuned into the Golden Globes on Sunday, and you enjoy their selection for best television series - drama, then you've undoubtedly heard RJD2. That's right, the opening credits for the show Mad Men feature an instrumental track called "A Beautiful Mine" off the RJD2 album Magnificent City Instrumentals. I never much liked the show, beyond the first season, but I love the opening credits. They're fantastic. I'd even say that the choice of RJD2's music was perfect, as I often find myself picturing scenes to accompany his songs. I don't know what it is, but he has a way of blending instrumental layers and building intensity that shows a true artistic connection to life happenings. He's good. Why else did I wait to post this? Today marks the release of his fourth major solo album, The Colossus. I hit that up this morning, and if you're interested, the album sounds pretty good so far. He's also just starting a US tour, so you could even catch a live show, including some sweet drum machine Donkey Kong.

Alright, enough blathering, here's the song. "Chicken Bone Circuit" is off RJD2's first major album, Deadringer, and features samples of live Led Zeppelin, Mongo Santamaria and Lovage. It's drum-heavy, slightly haunting and loaded with energy. The video (which is not official, but very cool) shows scenes from San Francisco, with several filmed on the fringe of the Tenderloin, along Market St. This is one of my favorite spots in the city, where I feel you can really take in the true diversity of SF. I love the city, love the footage and the song speaks for itself. Hope you like it.


2 comments:

  1. glad you were able to get some enjoyment and use out of the forced watching of the golden globes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it wasn't entirely forced. I wanted to see John Lithgow and Michael C. Hall win for Dexter, and I was happy to see Toni Colette get one for United States of Tara. I enjoyed most of the first half.

    ReplyDelete